Old 19-07-2009, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_4_] Zootal[_4_] is offline

Default Yellow pear tomatoes not ripening

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
What's up with that? Week after week they just hang here and nothing
changes. The plant is putting out a pretty fair number of buds and I see
new fruit all over it. But the oldest fruit which is almost full size
just stays green week after week.

It has been hot here in SoCal - days in the mid 90s and nights about
68-72. I water them heavily two times a day and that may have to be 3 at
the rate they seem to need it.

My celebrities also do not seem to be in any hurry to ripen. In fact some
of the oldest ones I just had to cut off due to brown rot on the bottom
half. Cutting them open showed they were full of brown goo inside.

The temps here are upper 80s, sometimes low 90s. And I water my toms maybe
every 5 days. If you are watering them heavily twice a day, you are badly
over-watering them.

Pear tomatoes, especially yellow, will sit there, big, fat, and green for a
long time, until they are ready to turn yellow. Then one day you have a
bazillion yellow toms. Quit watering them so much and leave them alone. They
will ripen when they are ready.