Old 19-07-2009, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Wild Billy Wild Billy is offline

Default Yellow pear tomatoes not ripening

In article
,
wrote:

On Jul 18, 5:22*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
What's up with that? *Week after week they just hang here and nothing
changes. *The plant is putting out a pretty fair number of buds and I see
new fruit all over it. *But the oldest fruit which is almost full size just
stays green week after week.

It has been hot here in SoCal - days in the mid 90s and nights about 68-72.
I water them heavily two times a day and that may have to be 3 at the rate
they seem to need it.

My celebrities also do not seem to be in any hurry to ripen. *In fact some
of the oldest ones I just had to cut off due to brown rot on the bottom
half. *Cutting them open showed they were full of brown goo inside.

Have you cut open any of the yellow pear tomatoes? Because if they
are changing color in the inside, pick some of the larger fruit and
ripen them indoors.

You might also try putting shade cloth over your plants to reduce the
heat and light.

Dora

I watched my "yellow pear" tomatoes for 6 weeks last year waiting for
them to change color. Water deeply every 3 days, and think about
something else.
--

- Billy

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson