Old 19-07-2009, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] bungadora@aol.com is offline

Default Yellow pear tomatoes not ripening

On Jul 18, 11:34*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
Zootal wrote:
"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
What's up with that? *Week after week they just hang here and nothing
changes. *The plant is putting out a pretty fair number of buds and
I see new fruit all over it. *But the oldest fruit which is almost
full size just stays green week after week.

It has been hot here in SoCal - days in the mid 90s and nights about
68-72. I water them heavily two times a day and that may have to be
3 at the rate they seem to need it.

My celebrities also do not seem to be in any hurry to ripen. *In
fact some of the oldest ones I just had to cut off due to brown rot
on the bottom half. *Cutting them open showed they were full of
brown goo inside.

The temps here are upper 80s, sometimes low 90s. And I water my toms
maybe every 5 days. If you are watering them heavily twice a day, you
are badly over-watering them.

They severely wilt if not watered at least 2 times a day. *If they do not
get a night watering they are badly wilted by noon the next day. *I should
mention these are in pots. *Today was 100F.

Pear tomatoes, especially yellow, will sit there, big, fat, and green
for a long time, until they are ready to turn yellow. Then one day
you have a bazillion yellow toms. Quit watering them so much and
leave them alone. They will ripen when they are ready.

I certainly can wait but not watering as much will kill them. *I'm going to
move them to a place where they get less sun and earlier shade.

Paul- Hide quoted text -

How big are the pots? If they are drying out that quickly, you might
want to look at putting them in larger containers next year.
Dora