Old 19-07-2009, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Courgettes

In message , June Hughes
writes
In message ,
writes
In article ,
June Hughes wrote:
I have never grown courgettes as my husband doesn't like them but
recently bought one plant to fill a space in a raised bed. It was very
soon producing courgettes and I was so pleased, I went to the garden
centre and bought two more plants, which I put in a gigantic pot. They
too grew quickly but it soon became apparent that they are both (I think
- I am a courgette bozo) male, as all they are producing is flowers on
stalks where you would expect the courgettes to be. They are also
rather prickly plants. I know you can cook the flowers and shall do so
but can anyone please tell me if there is anything I can do?

No, all courgettes are bisexual. Most of the squashes seem to produce
quote a lot of male flowers before they start producing female ones.
Most varieties are prickly, but not all.

So I recommend a policy of constructive inaction.

That's just what I need to know. So - I shall harvest the flowers,
cook them and wait and see what happens next. I wonder why the first
plant went straight into courgette mode?

Forgot to say thank-you. Sorry. Thanks
--
June Hughes