Old 19-07-2009, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dido22 dido22 is offline

Default tomato caterpillars

Hello & thanks,

I didnt notice a yellow line (but was not looking for one). They were praps
1 inch long (2.5 cm) and green. I now see several leaves with holes, so
probably many more in there !

Live & let live !

Thanks again

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

K wrote
I have just found 2 large green caterpillars chomping the leaves on my
greenhouse tomato plants. I've never known this before (in many years of
growing toms). The only butterfies I have seen around are cabbage whites.
Is this evolution or gloabal warming ?

It's sounds like the Tomato Moth (Lacanobia oleracea). The caterpillars
are up to 3.5cm long, brown or green, with a yellow line along the side of
the body on which are tiny white dots.
Look on the leaves, especially those near the glass, for eggs and small
caterpillars as they congregate when small but branch out on their own as
they grow.
(From RHS Pests and Diseases.)
--
Regards