Old 19-07-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default New garden - help req

mike. buckley writes
In message , K
writes
mike. buckley writes
Hi all,

Just moved to a new house, the garden is a little un-cared for - but
only for a year or so while the move completed. Before I start
hacking around too much I need some plant IDs, photos he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3966580...7621553462651/

The final picture is of an apple tree that looks to have had aphids
on it for some time. I've washed the worst of them off but is it
beyond saving?

No, there's no problem. Apple trees can take a lot worse damage than
this.

Tempted to prune heavily in winter to remove the damaged areas and go a
year without any fruit. Good idea?

Aphids will only damage the leaves, not the wood. Next year the tree
will grow new leaves. So jut do the normal winter prune.

Lots of advice for controlling aphids on the Net but not a lot for
helping a tree to recover.

They don't do enough damage for the tree to need to recover.

--
Kay