Old 20-07-2009, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My spud flowers germinated

In message , R
writes
and now I have small tomato shaped "fruits"

Am I right (After googling) that sowing in much the same way as tomatoes
that I will end up with small tubers which are then planted out instead of
spuds with eyes?

The usual reason given for not growing potatoes from seed is that
potatoes don't come true from seed, and any plants you get are likely to
be inferior to the parent. But possibly also that it takes too long to
get a crop from seed raised potatoes.

Also, while I don't suppose it's a particular high risk, potatoes with
tubers with toxic levels of alkaloids have accidentally been breed in
the past. There's some chance that this might happen with you seedling
potatoes.

also, SWMBO needs to know when best to plant the seeds too.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley