Old 20-07-2009, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My spud flowers germinated

R wrote:
and now I have small tomato shaped "fruits"

Am I right (After googling) that sowing in much the same way as tomatoes
that I will end up with small tubers which are then planted out instead of
spuds with eyes?

also, SWMBO needs to know when best to plant the seeds too.

A bit "off topic", but I wondered if anyone in this newsgroup has grafted
tomatoes onto potatoes.

A search in Google turned up a few hits, but only one made any real comment
on the outcome: "The reverse graft, tomato on potato, allows the potato
stock to produce its tubers underground, but they are inferior to those
produced by ungrafted potatoes. The flavor is off. Something produced by the
tomato scion is conveyed to the roots and accumulates in the tubers.
Meanwhile, the tomato scion produces fruit, but these are also of bad
flavor. Something from the potato scion is transmitted across the graft
union and into the fruit."

Pity. I wonder if different varieties could be chosen to reduce the taint.
Also, I wonder if it would be true of peppers and aubergines, too.

--
Jeff