Old 20-07-2009, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Need Plant ID

In message ,
Billy writes
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message ,
Billy writes
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message ,
Billy writes
Unknown Plant folder.
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

1) Was it the borage or the allium (might be onion) that you wanted
identified?
2) Looks like Lychnis coronaria (rose campion)
3/5) The daisy in the foreground might Silybum marianum; is that a
Helianthus behind it?
4) Canna?
6/7) I presume that this is an Echinacea
8
9/10) I won't argue with the Centranthus and Solidago.

The unknown plants are pictured in the folder "Unknown Plant".

Does it show up in some browsers? With this hint I find it under albums.

URL:http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=FKOnmuE51SL4BA70I8Y8pA%3D%3D

The first two photographs look like Urtica urens (small, dwarf or annual
nettle). The third is a willow herb - I can't guarantee being able to
identify the species even if I could see the details of the flowers.

I don't see the response I made before Newswatcher crashed so I'll
respond again.

You correctly identified both. The willow herb is Hoary Willowherb.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...roducts/new/wi
llowherb01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mdidea.com/products/new/new093paper.h
tml&h=424&w=376&sz=36&tbnid=rL-mWKae_FdRLM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=112&prev=/image
s%3Fq%3Dwillow%2Bherb&usg=___CdqucMzrvvsW8xOTx1t2 DfxAR4=&ei=YMRkSreXHozQs
QPV6IVn&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image.

I was getting ready to pull them up, which I hate to do until I know
what it is. Thank you for staying my hand, as I have a medecinal herb
garden, and these two are most welcome to stay.

I am indebted to you.

Hoary willow-herb would have been well down my list of guesses, but
photographs can be misleading.

These photographs at Flikr appear to be correctly identified.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1423038...n/photostream/

Here, E. parviflorum is "easily" identified; the flowers are
actinomorphic (therefore not Chamaerion angustifolium); the flowers are
relatively small (therefore not E. hirsutum); and the stems and leaves
are prominently hoary (therefore not E. montanum or E. lanceolatum). In
addition to being hoary, it is additionally distinguished from other
erect growing willow herbs (E. ciliatum, E. obscurum, E. tetragonum and
E. roseum) by having a four-lobed rather than clavate stigma; the
sessile nature of the leaves further distinguishes it from E. roseum.
(I'm currently struggling to identify two, I think, further species of
willowherb from among E. ciliatum, E. obscurum and E. tetragonum.) But I
don't know what other species come in the mix in your neck of the woods,
whereever that may be.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley