Old 21-07-2009, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Garden Fences

In article , says...
Frank wrote:
On Jul 16, 6:44 pm, Marcella Peek wrote:
In article
,

Davej wrote:
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the fence I
need around my garden.
Serious question?

Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. Deep to keep out the rabbits.
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. Maybe
a moat?

marcella

Netting will deter deer as will chicken wire. Need not be solid.
Groundhogs are tough as they will burrow under. Hav-a-hart works well
for groundhogs.

What do you use for bait for groundhogs?

EJ in NJ

Peanut butter works best.

Setting the trap on a usual route, by a regular food source (pref.
outside the garden) or right by a hole works.

Close the traps at night if you don't want to catch skunks, raccoons or
cats. ...some cats just love peanut butter and will quite happily test
the trap for you any time of day...

Do check the traps regularly. Squirrels like peanut butter too and will
take turns in the trap.

Do not leave any animal in a trap overnight. Raccoons will mangle them.

Do not leave a skunk in the trap through the day. They can die of
stress.

Getting a skunk out of the trap without getting sprayed is an easy
enough procedure but requires some knowledge.