Old 21-07-2009, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Acorn Squash-when to pick

In article ,
Dave_S wrote:

My Acorn Squash (maybe Table Queen) look mature and size has stopped
increasing. They are large, heavy, dark green with thick stems. They
have been that color and size for weeks. When to remove from vine is my
question. Vines still look healthy with large green leaves. No new
blossoms. Can the squash continue to ripen by hanging on the healthy
vines all summer long? I live in hot San Fernando Valley. Every day,
near noon time (90F or hotter), these plants show extreme wilting leaves.

Thanks, Dave_s

1) Wait for stems to shrivel and dry
2) The skin is so hard you can't cut it with your thumbnail.
3) Wait until after your first frost but before your first hard frost.
--

- Billy

"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of
conception until death." - Rachel Carson