Old 21-07-2009, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Davej Davej is offline

Default Garden Fences

On Jul 20, 2:32*pm, The Cook wrote:
On 20 Jul 2009, Frank wrote:
On Jul 16, 6:44*pm, Marcella Peek wrote:
*Davej wrote:
Ok, I have rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. Please describe the
fence I need around my garden.

Serious question?
Solid, at least 6 foot high to deter the deer who don't like to jump
over when they can't see the other side. *Deep to keep out the rabbits. *
Gee, I don't even know how deep you'd have to go for groundhogs. *Maybe
a moat?

Netting will deter deer as will chicken wire. *Need not be solid.
Groundhogs are tough as they will burrow under. *Hav-a-hart works well
for groundhogs.

A 3 wire electric fence does a wonderful job of keeping the deer out.

I like the idea of electric but I'm wondering if it will stop the deer
or just cause a lot of wild thrashing once they have jumped into it?
If I start with a 3ft rabbit fence and then run electric wires at 4ft,
5ft, and 6ft does anyone think that would be effective? Thanks.