Old 21-07-2009, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Hydrangea again

"Mike E" wrote ...
I have seen this question in another place but I was wondering what the
answer was because I am curious as its happened to my mother too. the
question is as follows

I have two lovely hydrangeas in my garden, which are about 30 years old.
We prune them at the right time, and every year they produce lots of
blossoms. We haven't done anything different this year but......
I don't know what has happened to them this year though, because there is
not one blossom on them, and it looks as through there won't be any. Is it
possible for them to have a rest year??

It was a colder winter than normal last year. Do you leave the old flower
heads on to protect the plant during the worst of the winter weather and
prune them off when you see the buds lower down the stems break?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden