Old 21-07-2009, 12:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Got my first ripe tomato

On 7/20/09 10:28 PM, in article ,
"zxcvbob" wrote:

Frank wrote:
Zeppo wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed tomato
salad.

Cheryl (in NH)
I've gotten half a dozen yellow cherry tomatoes off of my plant so far
with dozen's more starting to ripen up. My 3 other tomato plants have
lots of fruit but are very slow ripening. I'm being patient (not!) but
am looking forward to making plenty of gazpacho, marinara and caprese
salad this summer.

All 4 of my plants are in 5 gallon pots and seem to be thriving.

Jon

Mine are on pots too and we got first ripe ones this week here in
northern Delaware. Little late but it's been cooler than normal. Only
had the AC on one day, all summer.

Frank

I have beautiful tomato plants -- about a foot tall. Some of them
haven't even started blooming yet. I saw one has a few pea-sized
tomatoes, so I may get some yet (in September. If it doesn't freeze
before then.) It's been downright chilly this July. I think it has
dropped down into the 40's at night a couple of times.

The volunteer tomatillos have passed up the tomato plants. They don't
have any fruit yet, but they are blooming like crazy, and it won't take
them long to develop once they set.

The peppers and eggplants haven't really grown much at all since I set
them out about 6 or 7 weeks ago. The cantaloupes have finally taken
off; the vines are short but they look healthy and have lots of blooms.
No melons yet.

Serves me right for planting nothing but hot-weather crops this year.

Bob, in Minnesota

Some year, I have to try tomatillos. I have cucumbers that look like June
plants still but the volunteer pumpkins are doing well.

It is raining again here - supposed until late next week too. Sigh, I'm
going to lose control of the weeds for sure now.

Cheryl