Old 21-07-2009, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Default User Default User is offline

Default Got my first ripe tomato

Zeppo wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message

Mine are on pots too and we got first ripe ones this week here in
northern Delaware. Little late but it's been cooler than normal.
Only had the AC on one day, all summer.

I'm just a little north of you, just outside northwest Philly. The
weather has been absolutely great (even though its raining today). I
could live with this all summer.

It's been odd in St. Louis. June was very hot, several stretches of
mid-90s and above. I got my plants in a bit late, Memorial day weekend.
The hot weather was great for plant growth, but the tomatoes didn't set
much fruit. I have two that were set early. I'll pick the first tonight.

July has been quite cool. This week we won't get out of the 80s, and
today will be in the 70s. So the plants are setting fruit now, with a
vengeance. I did a quick inventory last night, and there're about 50
tomatoes 2in or less in diameter. Big crop coming down the line.

The poblanos were unfazed by the early heat.

Brian

--
Day 169 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project