Old 21-07-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Now really OT! Sacha's tearoom

On 2009-07-21 17:15:34 +0100, Martin said:

snip

It's cheaper to go five times )
You can use one of the tickets for close family members and the return in
either direction. Which is how we ended up buying a season ticket
instead of two
peak period returns.

I wish they'd do this on the ferries to the CIs. ;-(

It's not very well publicised. Most people don't know these season tickets
exist.
It used to be possible to get reduced price tickets by owning a minimum of £600
of P&O shares. I don't even know who owns P&O nowadays. The share price used to
drop dramatically just after the deadline for owning shares to qualify for a
reduced rate the following year passed.

I'll look into it, though it's still a wretched drive from here to
Poole or Weymouth! But sometimes we want to take plants over for my
son or for friends and then taking a car (or two!) makes more sense.
Some friends of ours came to visit in their Range Rover, having done a
tour of other bits of England. Before returning to Jersey, they loaded
the car with plants - I think the passenger went home with one jostling
for room in her footwell but it was worth it for them. Last time we
flew over, in June, we took 3 plants a customer wanted and delivered
them to her personally, all for the p&p of £13 it cost us as baggage!
Can't do that very often, however. Those comparatively short stretches
of water are very expensive everywhere in the world, it seems. My son
is doing a big renovation garden scheme and an entirely new garden
scheme in one of his fields (if permission is forthcoming) and I think
we'll be taking over a pantechnicon at that point - should be
interesting both in terms of fare and the driving! I might have a
naturally suspicious nature but I think a lot of these ferry and
airline companies realise they do, literally, have a captive audience!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com