Old 21-07-2009, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Now really OT! Sacha's tearoom

"'Mike'" wrote in message
As we are talking ferries and not gardening, can I talk about the Isle of
Wight Ferries ?

If not, why not?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

On 2009-07-21 17:15:34 +0100, Martin said:

snip

It's cheaper to go five times )
You can use one of the tickets for close family members and the
return in
either direction. Which is how we ended up buying a season ticket
instead of two
peak period returns.

I wish they'd do this on the ferries to the CIs. ;-(

It's not very well publicised. Most people don't know these season
tickets
exist.
It used to be possible to get reduced price tickets by owning a minimum
of £600
of P&O shares. I don't even know who owns P&O nowadays. The share price
used to
drop dramatically just after the deadline for owning shares to qualify
for a
reduced rate the following year passed.

I'll look into it, though it's still a wretched drive from here to
Poole or Weymouth!

I just did a search and could find nobody offering season tickets between
UK and
the CI.

But sometimes we want to take plants over for my
son or for friends

We do that. We took an old Qualcast hover lawn mower with us two weeks
ago as
well as plants.

and then taking a car (or two!) makes more sense.
Some friends of ours came to visit in their Range Rover, having done a
tour of other bits of England. Before returning to Jersey, they loaded
the car with plants - I think the passenger went home with one jostling
for room in her footwell but it was worth it for them. Last time we
flew over, in June, we took 3 plants a customer wanted and delivered
them to her personally, all for the p&p of £13 it cost us as baggage!

Sacha air freight!

Can't do that very often, however. Those comparatively short stretches
of water are very expensive everywhere in the world, it seems.

I haven't checked recently but in the peak season in the 1990s the return
fare
for two adults and a car was almost the same between mainland ports from
Calais
to Hoek of Holland and the UK.

My son
is doing a big renovation garden scheme and an entirely new garden
scheme in one of his fields (if permission is forthcoming) and I think
we'll be taking over a pantechnicon at that point - should be
interesting both in terms of fare and the driving! I might have a
naturally suspicious nature but I think a lot of these ferry and
airline companies realise they do, literally, have a captive audience!

The ferries are running near empty for much of the year ATM. Even last
weekend
which was down on their booking chart as peak weekend of the year. the
ferry
wasn't full.
--

Martin

(I would have snipped this lot, but snipping does not seem to apply on this
newsgroup)

HOWEVER,

Sorry, I top posted by mistake. Had I been one of the chosen few it wouldn't
have mattered, but as it's me, the book of wrath will descend on me if I
don't go down on my bended knees to she and he who must be obeyed.

Kindest possible regards to those who have double standards