Old 21-07-2009, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sutartsorric sutartsorric is offline

Default Courgettes

On 19 July, 11:46, June Hughes wrote:
In message , June Hughes
writes

In message ,
writes
In article ,
June Hughes wrote:
I have never grown courgettes as my husband doesn't like them but
recently bought one plant to fill a space in a raised bed. *It was very
soon producing courgettes and I was so pleased, I went to the garden
centre and bought two more plants, which I put in a gigantic pot. *They
too grew quickly but it soon became apparent that they are both (I think
- I am a courgette bozo) male, as all they are producing is flowers on
stalks where you would expect the courgettes to be. *They are also
rather prickly plants. *I know you can cook the flowers and shall do so
but can anyone please tell me if there is anything I can do?

No, all courgettes are bisexual. *Most of the squashes seem to produce
quote a lot of male flowers before they start producing female ones.
Most varieties are prickly, but not all.

So I recommend a policy of constructive inaction.

That's just what I need to know. *So - I shall harvest the flowers,
cook them and wait and see what happens next. *I wonder why the first
plant went straight into courgette mode?

Forgot to say thank-you. *Sorry. *Thanks
--
June Hughes

My kids have never liked courgettes, or so they say - but I chop them
up and add them to curry in the early stages of cooking. After an hour
or two simmering, they have merged with the curry sauce and acted as a
thickener, with just the bits of green skin which could easily be
mistaken for peppers.

It is amazing how much surplus courgette can be 'hidden' in a curry
this way, and eaten by those who hate them.