Old 22-07-2009, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OTish: 20 most widespread "weeds"

In article ,
mark wrote:

I've been making notes about the local flora. Should this be of mild
interest, these are the 20 most widespread (not necessarily the commonest)
species - the figures in brackets are the number of "sites" in which they
are present, where a site averages about a square kilometre. No grasses,
as I can't tell them apart. There are also biases against late-flowering
plants, and arable weeds, so take the figures with a pinch of salt.

Wot! No ground elder?

It's rather more sensitive to conditions than most people realise;
it needs part shade and either short grass or very little ground
cover. As that is precisely what most gardens provide, it is a
major pest there, but it isn't all that universal in the wild.

However, I am extremely surprised at the lack of field bindweed,
but it is extremely easy to overlook unless it is flowering.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.