Old 22-07-2009, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Picking time

SteveB said:

I have seen zucchini approach the size of a VW in size. I know they
couldn't be good, as the ones I like are about 6" long and about as round as
a silver dollar. Is there a trick to harvesting squashes? When it looks
the right size? Will they just keep getting bigger like zucchini? I got
one big honker of I think banana squash that is over a foot long, but still
light green. How do you tell if they're ripe?

Banana squash is a winter squash. It needs to be left on the vine until
ripe. At that point, it will be pinkish/tan in color, with a very rind
and a hard, corky stem. Banana squash is a variety of Cucurbita maxima
and as the species name suggests, the fruit can be quite large -- often
15 - 20 pounds, possibly 40 pounds or more.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored