Old 22-07-2009, 12:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Staking cucumbers in pots

Paul M. Cook wrote:
To say my yellow lemon cucs have taken off is an understatement. I
swear I can hear them growing right now. Four weeks old and they are
4 feet tall with big yellow flowers *everywhere.* They're putting
out gigantic leaves, too. Apparently they love the hot weather in
SoCal.

So I have them in a pot, staked with bamboo poles. They hate the
trellis and won't wrap their tendrils around the square wood. So my
question is, how tall will these guys get? I may have a problem here
real soon. Another foot and they'll tower above the stakes. At this
rate that will be about one week.

Do you top them? I am not sure what I can do about getting something
tall enough to support them.

Let them run sideways instead of upwards

David