Old 22-07-2009, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default OTish: 20 most widespread "weeds"

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
I've been making notes about the local flora. Should this be of mild
interest, these are the 20 most widespread (not necessarily the
commonest) species - the figures in brackets are the number of "sites"
in which they are present, where a site averages about a square
kilometre. No grasses, as I can't tell them apart. There are also
biases against late-flowering plants, and arable weeds, so take the
figures with a pinch of salt.

The wildflower charity Plantlife has for several years run a 'common
plants' survey, some results of which are he
http://tinyurl.com/n4d2c3

It can't be compared with Stewarts records, since the Plantlife survey
includes just 65 specified species, rather than noting the occurrences
of *all* the common species. They are looking for trends over the
years, and had enough data to look at trends for 55 of the species.

Over the 5 years of the survey up to 2007:

Nettles, Lords and Ladies, Lesser Celandine and Travellers Joy have
increased

Common Chickweed, Butterburr, Red Clover, Harebell and tufted vetch all
showed a steep decline - a decline of more than 5% a year. 11 species
were listed as showing a moderate decline.
--
Kay