Old 22-07-2009, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Staking cucumbers in pots

Paul M. Cook wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Paul M. Cook wrote:
To say my yellow lemon cucs have taken off is an understatement. I
swear I can hear them growing right now. Four weeks old and they
are 4 feet tall with big yellow flowers *everywhere.* They're
putting
out gigantic leaves, too. Apparently they love the hot weather in
SoCal. So I have them in a pot, staked with bamboo poles. They
hate the trellis and won't wrap their tendrils around the square
wood. So my question is, how tall will these guys get? I may have
a problem here real soon. Another foot and they'll tower above the
stakes. At this rate that will be about one week.

Do you top them? I am not sure what I can do about getting
something tall enough to support them.

Let them run sideways instead of upwards

I have nothing to tie them to unless I got a length of chain link or
something. Was hoping to do this without a lot of materials.

Paul

On the ground

David