Old 22-07-2009, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default Best way to bury an extension cable to the shed?

In message , Ragnar
writes

"glasgowdan" wrote in message

I have a cable trailing across about 25ft of grass just now. It's just a
standard 2 core orange extension cable. Can this be buried itself or do
I need to fit some form of conduit?

Cheers

You mention an 'extension cable to the shed'. I assume this is a 240V
supply. Is this to be for power or lighting?

Your cable will need to be twin and earth i.e. three core not two. Orange
cable is strictly for indoor use only. The supply will need to run in a
buried conduit unless you are using armoured cable. The conduit will need
to be sealed at each end against water (and vermin). It will need to be run
from a fused switched spur unit inside the house and in one length with no
joints. None of this should be carried out by someone who is not a
qualified electrician - this is the law, not my opinion.

There may be other rules that I have missed out but since you will NOT be
doing this work yourself that doesn't matter.

R.
(not a killjoy - just don't want you to have a nasty accident)

No the killjoys are the ones who introduced these daft rules in the
first place.
--
hugh