Old 23-07-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default overseeding the lawn

On 2009-07-12 10:35:05 +0100, Dave Hill said:

On 11 July, 23:04, bobharvey wrote:
On 11 July, 17:43, Dave Hill wrote:

Remember, in nature grass seed just drops to the grownd and doesn't
get planted, except some by worms.

It's true. But Nature is not setting out to achieve a perfect
monovarietal sward, and as long as one seed in a million succeeds is
quite happy. We are hoping to get at least 50% of grass seeds to
succeed, so a bit of TLC & the elimination of hazards will help this
un-natural desite.

We dont all go into the garden with "un-natural desires"

If just 1 in one million grass seeds grew in nature then we would have
no grass.
David Hill

Am I allowed at this stage to butt in, yet again, with Ray's lawn
seeding method? ;-) Well, I will anyway (perhaps NB to FAQ
makers?!): thoroughly mix up lawn seed and compost in a wheelbarrow to
the quantity required. Tip all back into an empty compost sack. Roll
over loosely at the top and leave for a few days. When the seed has
germinated, scatter it where needed. This helps you to see where
you've sown and it helps to keep birds off. Cover the scattered seed
with horticultural fleece and weigh the edges down with stones or
similar. This also helps to repel birds, gives the grass a bit of a
'greenhouse' and gets it off to a good start. When grass is a decent
height, remove fleece. Keep watered in dry spells before and after
fleece removal. Several NT gardeners learned this tip from Ray and
have put it to good use!
--

Now included as an FAQ...

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawnrep.htm

RG

Many thanks. Don't know why I'm seeing some of these posts so late -
I'm getting used to a new newsreader and obviously haven't got the hang
of it yet!

FWIW, I managed to strip the grass verge outside my house back to bare
earth as a consequence of building works, skips, rubble, etc. The
Highways Officer for the local council came to see me and told me that
I needed to re-seed the verge and reinstate (which I was going to do
anyway). I told him what I planned to do and how I intended to care for
it during propagation and growth. He looked shocked. "Don't bother with
all that," he said. "Just loosen the surface, scatter the grass seed
and then ignore it. Nature will take care of the rest." I voiced my
surprise and he added: "We seed or re-seed hundreds of acres of grass
verge and landscaping every year and this method works just fine." And
it did.