Old 23-07-2009, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default garlic

Fred wrote:

I have some garlic growing but some of the stems have been bent either
by the wind or an animal. I notice the plat appears to be growing
cloves at the point where the stem has been bent. Has anyone noticed
this before?

It's called "side bolting;" I see it occasionally on softneck garlic that
otherwise doesn't produce the scape with little bulbs on tip. Which, by
the way, should be cut off unless you're sure of really good soil
fertility. As Bob said, garlic should be dug/pulled before all the tops
have browned, or it will be overmature, with splitting open bulbs, etc.
There's some information on my personal web page in the .sig below, though
it has an American accent.... most of the information should be fairly
portable.
FWIW, I'm in the midst of harvesting mine, in the Northeastern U.S.