Old 23-07-2009, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Help identifying a wasp please

I'm in Southern NH, current temp about 65, cool, breezy and storm on it's
way.

Today I found a wasp nest, with wasps, unlike anything I've ever seen.
First, I actual had pulled on the stem it was on and only found the wasps
when I grabbed to pull it off. There were at least 6-7 wasps seemingly
unconcerned by my presence. Didn't get buzzed, stung, what ever.

They were small - at most 3/4 of an inch and could be closer to a half inch.
The nest/comb was flat, at this point about 3.5 inches across and the cells
were definitely on the small side and the nest was about the silver brown
color of dried leaves (which is why I grabbed there in the first place). I
know yellow jacket nests well - this was not a yellow jack nest.

Standard black and yellow coloration - other than the size, nothing stood
out. Mind you, I wasn't going to stick around and take notes. Though I did
continue working right around the area.

Thoughts ? Please and thank you

Cheryl