Old 24-07-2009, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default DIY auto-watering

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I'm going away for a month,
and am wondering if there is a simple way
of watering window-boxes while I am away.
I have a number of 500ml empty sparkling water bottles.
I tried making a hole in the top of one,
but it is very difficult to control the amount of water
that comes out.

I'm wondering if one could use a piece of string
with one end in the bottle and one in the soil,
with osmosis slowly taking the water from the bottle?

--
Timothy Murphy

If you are going away for that length of time, who is looking after your
house and mail etc. can't they do your watering for you? We have wonderful
neighbours and when we go away cruising, we hand them the keys and they look
after watering, the mail, opening and closing windows etc. 5 weeks in our
case this year and the same next year is too long to leave a place empty.
Look at the junk mail!! You won't open the front door!!

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk