Old 24-07-2009, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default DIY auto-watering

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I'm going away for a month,
and am wondering if there is a simple way
of watering window-boxes while I am away.
I have a number of 500ml empty sparkling water bottles.
I tried making a hole in the top of one,
but it is very difficult to control the amount of water
that comes out.

I'm wondering if one could use a piece of string
with one end in the bottle and one in the soil,
with osmosis slowly taking the water from the bottle?

Well, a month from now means late August, they'll be pretty much gone over
anyway, especially with no dead-heading being done. Also, isn't Dublin
expecting a bit of rain in the next month?

Simplest, as has been mentioned, is to ask someone to water for you if it's
a particularly dry spell.

Steve