Old 24-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Granity Granity is offline
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
A key factor in identifying Chanterelles from similar things is their smell - they smell like apricots, which is an unusual smell for a fungus. So probably wrong smell too.

And we couldn't possibly identify it, even from a book, without a clear shot of the underside of the cap. The formation of the gills (or whatever else it has - in fact Chanterelles have "wrinkles" which are not true gills) and stipe (stem or trunk), is frequently key to identifying fungi. In fact I often need to cut the thing in half vertically to get a clear view of these things side on to be sure. But sure as anything it isn't a Chanterelle.
Indeed not a chanterelle. Cant see what it's growing on, but it looks very much like a small Dryads Saddle: http://willowhousechronicles.files.w...s-saddle-2.jpg

A Good mushroom indentification link: http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/