Old 24-07-2009, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default Best way to bury an extension cable to the shed?

In message , K
writes
hugh ] writes
In message , K
writes
hugh ] writes
No the killjoys are the ones who introduced these daft rules in the
first place.

Why are they daft? Which bits are not necessary?

The bits which deem that no DIY person knows how to install a new
circuit

But you can do it yourself and get it certified. Does not that make
sense in a world where people move house frequently? Some DIY people
can install safely, others just *think* they can.

How many people per annum are killed arising from wrongly installed
electrical wiring?

In the year before this legislation was passed it was 2 - but one of
those was an MPs daughter IIRC

We have become an obsessively risk averse society.

Ladders are far more dangerous - lets ban climbing ladders unless you
have been certified.

Are you happy with the Regs themselves? Is it just the certification
side which you are unhappy about?

I haven't read them in detail. However it's taken 7 attempts to produce
what we have today and no doubt an eight attempt will follow.
Interested in your comments as I've had similar from my father (60
years as Chartered Elec Eng)

No doubt he feels even more p****** off than I do as I gave up
engineering many years ago. A "certified" electrician did the wiring on
our extension a couple of years ago. I think I've now sorted out all the
poor connections.
--
hugh