Old 24-07-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default DIY auto-watering

On 2009-07-24 12:27:02 +0100, Martin said:

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:03:46 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

'Mike' wrote:

I'm going away for a month,
and am wondering if there is a simple way
of watering window-boxes while I am away.

If you are going away for that length of time, who is looking after your
house and mail etc. can't they do your watering for you?

I do indeed have a very good neighbour who is looking after our cat.
I could indeed ask her to water the window-boxes,
but would prefer to do something myself if possible.

We took down our flower baskets and left them on the ground out in the open,
when we went on holiday for two weeks. Mother nature did the rest.

I have access to a very expensive and therefore hopefully good meteo
forecast system which says with confidence that we are due to get a
fortnight's heatwave from the beginning of August (35 degrees!). That
being so, Mother Nature may not get the job done on her own.

Being paranoid about floods and/or under-watering, I only use
commercial micro irrigation systems connected to a tap timer. The
Hozelock AC Pro has a rain sensor accessory which turns the watering
program off if/when it detects sufficient rainfall. You can't get that
kind of eco-sensible control from a home-made system.
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/hozeloc...ain-sensor.asp