Old 24-07-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Best way to bury an extension cable to the shed?

In message , K
writes

Those are very fair points, but I think there's a difference between
killing yourself and killing others. No problem with allowing people
who should know better to do daft things and injure themselves, but I
think we should try our best to stop people doing things that might
injure other people.

Quite. Burying a cable without proper protection is leaving a
potential death trap for whoever tends your garden/buys your
house/replaces the shed.

When we moved into this (new) house 48 years ago my energetic neighbour
had his front garden dug over and grassed long before I tackled mine.
In the process he put his pick through the surface drain, which ran into
a shared soil pipe drain.

He was living 5000 miles away when I discovered that he had "repaired"
it by covering the hole with an opened-out baby food tin, which had
subsequently rusted away.
(Thanks, Brendan)!

I only sussed this out after having to rod out the shared drain at
regular intervals over a period of many months, when topsoil appeared
amongst the sh**. 8-(

Fortunately my other neighbour was a builder by trade and he helped to
diagnose the problem and replaced the pipe, using his professional
skills.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply