Old 24-07-2009, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default garlic

On Jul 24, 7:03*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Part_No" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Fred" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

I have some garlic growing but some of the stems have been bent either
by the wind or an animal. I notice the plat appears to be growing
cloves at the point where the stem has been bent. Has anyone noticed
this before? Why does it happen? What should I do? Is the plant
damaged: do I need to harvest it now, or will it continue to grow?

Thanks.

My garlic was harvested about a month ago. *It's spectacular, having had
dried chicken poo applied to the soil. * Massive juicy cloves ;-))
I've peeled and frozen some, the rest are hanging from the beams in my
kitchen.

Tina

Full agreement........dried chicken poo! or sow the cloves immediatly in
the same place where you harvested your spuds in Aug/Sept.

I tried dried chicken manure for the first time last year and the results
are dramatic for ....well....everything, but the garlic has been dramatic
with the planting after spuds thingy.

I'm lucky I don't have to buy it. *I have my own chickens. *They also
recycle my edible weeds.
I have a very large garden and my 30 chickens can struggle to eat all my
weeds, tbh.
They love to eat them, though. *Maybe I need 50 chickens g

Tina

Christina, do you sell eggs commercially, I only have 3 chickens but I
can't keep up with 21 eggs per week.

Judith