Old 25-07-2009, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Seeing off an aggressive blackbird?

www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk
"Eddy" wrote in message
There is one tiny patch of our garden which an aggressive blackbird has
an obsession with! Early every morning he comes and digs away. You can
see his beak-marks in the earth. Maybe he has learnt that the spot, for
some reason, is rich in worms.

Anyway, he is dislodging little alpines and covering others with the
earth that he flings out of the way.

I'm wondering, is there any spray that I could saturate this small area
with so that he'll either get a whiff of it or a taste of it and bugger
off? I don't want to harm the little fella, but I do want to deter him
from constantly wrecking this particular patch of garden!

I find "Slug Clear" spray brilliant for keeping the slugs away from
certain areas. I don't suppose there's a "Bird Clear"?! :-)

Eddy.

Try putting some apple down. We find that Blackbirds love apple and this
might distract him from digging. Don't laugh, but they do prefer Cox's
rather than Breaburn of Bramley!!! Cut it into quarters and put it where he
digs. It's not unsightly.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk