Old 16-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Oz

Default Biotech Wish List

Richard McDermott writes

I think average corn yields in the USA had already tripled or quadrupled
by the time of the "Green Revolution". The green revolution was really the
"Wheat like we grow it in The USA mand western Europe revolution"

Ah, so good enough for us, but not good enough for them.

It not
only created unrealistc dependency on synthetic fertilizer

Like we aren't dependent on it

and toxic rescue
chemistry,

Like they don;t have bugs and weeds

it ignorged, with disastrous results, local economic sytems,

like the locals produced more food on each tiny plot and thus fed more
people and got more income

local ecology,

Que?

and local diets

Rice, not unknown ....

with . It was blunt heavy handed and quite
destrucyive agricultural imperialism,

Hah! Like you think the US can compel some asian peasant to do what you
want? I have news for you, you can't. He does what he wants to do and in
any case most of the varieties have been locally bred for decades.

Sort of like the fabulous green
revolution of brining the potato to Ireland.

Worked brilliantly for decades. Now if they had had blight fungicides,
the US would never have been populated ....

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.