Old 25-07-2009, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Seeing off an aggressive blackbird?

Broadback writes
I have a tub with a blueberry in it. Loads of berries, looking forward
to a pie, but they never seemed to ripen. Early one morning I found out
why, a couple of blackbirds were picking the ripe and almost ripe ones
for themselves. So I covered it with netting. The little bs now stand
on the netting and attack the shrub, does not seem to faze them at all.
Guess I will have to make a frame and use that to keep the netting well
above the bush.

I have a pergola with apple trees trained up and over it - a sort of
tunnel of apples. The blackbirds opt for an easy life - the only ones
which get pecked are those which are in easy reach of a blackbird
standing on one of the cross bars of the pergola. So I'm not in the
least bit surprised at them simply standing on your netting.
--
Kay