Old 26-07-2009, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Freckles[_5_] Freckles[_5_] is offline

Default Beautiful Lawn turning into Crabgrass

"trax" wrote in message
All reasonable advice would be appreciated.
I have a big amount of lawn approximately 10,000 square feet. Location
Northern California. The lawn was established when I purchased the
house. It is a thin blade grass. I use the 'Scotts' fertilizer plan
and water regularly. The lawn was absolutely beautiful a few months
ago (April & May) but recently it has turned brown in spots and looks
dry and has lots of crabgrass. Please advice, what can I do to get my
beautiful lawn back. I also aerote twice a year.
Thanks,

Most likely when you aerated your lawn you turned crabgrass seeds to the top
and now crabgrass is starting to take over your lawn.

I'm far from being an expert, but it seems to me you don't need to aerate
nearly as often. I've aerated my lawn only once in the 8 years that I've
lived here and my lawn is doing very well. I don't intend to aerate my lawn
again for several more years, or at least until my lawn really looks like it
would benefit from it.

I would suggest you stop aerating, start spot spraying the crabgrass with a
good herbicide and overseed your lawn this fall.

Freckles