Old 25-07-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Japanese Knotweed - piece on BBC Breakfast news 23rd July 2009

On Jul 25, 2:30*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 06:04:21 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 25, 11:45*am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 03:28:14 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 24, 10:19*pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:17:43 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 24, 9:25*pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 21:00:45 +0100, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Gordon H
writes

Do these bugs kill the roots of Knotweed, which seem to creep
underground and pop up close by? * * * *At least that is my
perception, BICBW. * * * The warden has to apply for a licence each
year to treat the Knotweed, but it reappears each year in an area
between a pool and the river, and surrounded by Balsam, which has to
be removed first or the Knotweed is hidden. * * *It is a losing battle...

If I understand correctly they eat the stems. If the bugs are
sufficiently effective, this will result in the weakening of the root
system. Over a few years this will lead to the eradication of the
clump. (It's like frequent mowing will control Japanese knotweed.)

Thanks. * *Mowing isn't an option in the particular area, I don't think.
Some of us would like to try scythes on the balsam below the bottom
"knuckle", to at least chop them down and give other growth a chance,
but I think Health & Safety aspects would rule that out. * * *;-)
Why should elf n safety stop you using a recognised garden implement.
Just wear appropriate PPE. Ah maybe you can't get a certificate in
scything *cos nobody is qualified to teach it cos they haven't been
trained by a certified scything trainer and no-one thought to claim
grandfather rights:-)

Using a scythe without training can result in having a leg over.
--

Martin

? *Leg cut off you mean?

Depends what he is looking for nudge nudge
I'm telling Sacha on you!

Creep!
--

Martin

LOL *(Sticking out tongue).

Martin watching French forest fires on Eurosport. The plane dropping water on
the fire obviously came as a *welcome break to the bored Tour de France
commentators, who were down to making anagrams of competitors names.
--

Martin

I have seen the Canadair dropping water South of here.

Judith