Old 26-07-2009, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
v_coerulea v_coerulea is offline

Default Anyone know and easy way to fertilize lots of orchids fast?

The best way I've found is to use a hose end sprayer by Hudson. They used to
be carried by all the big box stores but have disappeared. But there are a
number of places online that carry them and they're inexpensive ($8-9 last I
looked). I mix a gallon of water with 12 tsp of fertilizer, actually several
gallon jugs so I have enough pre-dissolved and ready to go. Fill the
container on the hose end with a quart of fertilizer concentrate, set the
setting on top to 6 gallons and let 'er rip. It works pretty well even at
low flow rates. A gallon of concentrate makes 24 gallons of 1/2 tsp/ gal
fertilizer. Adjust your concentrate for different dilutions. The Hudson also
allows you to place concentrated liquids in the container and change the
setting on top to adjust the amount you want to dissolve per gallon of flow.
You do need to use good flow rates for thicker liquids like Physan or you
just don't get much. I do like to use it with Physan for spraying down the
walls and floors to keep down algae.

"dusty" wrote in message
I've been using Orchid fertilizer and a garden 2 gallon pump sprayer but
my
addiction has far exceeded its capabilities. So I'm wondering if
something
like a hose end sprayer like ortho makes would work. The problem I see
with
that is getting a proper mix. I'm open to ideas to fertilize a lot of
orchids in a short amount of time.

Orchids that I have are Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Oncidiums, Dendrobiums,
and a few other odds and ends.

By the way did I mention cost effective? (cheap)

Any good and easily workable ideas are appreciated