Old 26-07-2009, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raining still

On Jul 26, 12:24*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
We now have had 14.6 inches of rain so far in this part of South Wales
with rain forcast for the next 5 days,
It's not doing the dahlias a lot of good,
The run off has cut into the groundhttp://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/Dahlia%20mist/runoff...
Of the last struck cuttings around 70% have died due to the wet and
all the plants have just about stoped growing.
With all the rain the feed has been washed out of the ground and there
is no point in applying a liquid feed till we are due for a few days
of dry.
Had a phone call a couple of days ago from a customer in Deal (Kent)
who said she was just going out to water the plants as it was so dry
there.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

It's 33 degrees here David and pretty arid. Talking about Dahlias, I
have lost all but 2 out of an awful lot. I leave them in and ensure
they have more than, I thought, adequate winter protection, last
Winter was severe and it looks as if I will have to start again with
new ones, any medium height, unusual ones you know of?

Judith