Old 26-07-2009, 05:23 PM
BrucUK BrucUK is offline
Registered User

Location: Blackwater, Surrey
Default UK query: Top Dressing

I have a lawn with clay underneath that floods every time it rains; it's also full of tree roots.
I have killed the lawn off, built "edges" and a deck/pier to walk around on. I plan to top-dress the old (now dead) lawn with homemade compost and well-rotted horse manure to a depth of about 6 inches, thereby introducing organic matter, and avoiding having to dig too much. I have "loosened" the soil where possible.
Any thoughts? Anything wrong with this approach? I will not start planting until next year (herbaceous shrubs, roses and annual vegetables).
Is this a sensible strategy? Have I missed anything?
Thanks - Bruce