Old 26-07-2009, 07:16 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Lester Welch Lester Welch is offline

Default ...what determines where a plant can grow?

On Jul 25, 4:56*am, Sean Houtman wrote:
Raphanus wrote in news:7d5508b0-4f3b-42b3-9056-
:

After checking with local botanists I tried to grow some mesquite
(Prosopis glandulosa) from New Mexico here in South Carolina and they
won't grow. *The leaves quickly develop black spots and fall off and
the plant dies. *The same for Rhus trilobata.

The Prosopis may not do well in your area because it is a phreatophyte, it
grows deep roots, and requires well drained and pretty dry soil. It
probably succumbed to one or another root rots. I am surprised to hear that
the Rhus trilobata didn't do well for you, it grows in a wide range of
conditions here in New Mexico.

--
Check out my flickr page, it changes often.http://www.flickr.com/photos/groms

Sean,...Thanks for your answer. One out of three Rhus trilobata is
still showing signs of life - so maybe there is hope. All three were
about 10 inch saplings when I received them. Other NM plants
(because of my "roots" {pun intended}) I'm watching are a Pinus edulis
(pinion), a sapling which I planted ~ 10inches tall and is in its
second year and Curcurbita foetidissima (buffalo gourd, grown from
seeds) which is also in its second year. The gourd is in a big pot
but hasn't bloomed yet. Prickly pear cactus and yucca (variety of
species) are native in SC and are very common around my area.

I'm also interested - in retirement - in growing very rare native SC
plants - Echinacea laevigata (smooth purple cone flower) and Ribes
echinellum (spiny gooseberry).

Any thoughts about the chances of the gourd if it remains in the pot?
(20 inches diameter and 20 inches tall)