Old 26-07-2009, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Help identifying a wasp please

On 7/26/09 3:33 PM, in article ,
"Leon Fisk" wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:30:26 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
I realized, while out among the daylilies today, that I had the prefect
resource - a fellow daylily nut that has a Ph.D in bugs! I'm going to try
and take a few pictures in the AM and mail them off to him.

Here is another site that has pretty decent photos:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/384/bgimage?from=0

maybe this one in particular (Species Polistes fuscatus -
Northern Paper Wasp):

http://bugguide.net/node/view/14227/bgimage

This website has a better description for same:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...Polistes_fusca
tus.html

There are quite a few entries in the Genus Polistes. See:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/572/tree

Not all of the Paper Wasps are particularly aggressive.

The purported "yellow-jackets" are a numerous Genus too. See
some of the possibilities he

http://bugguide.net/node/view/554/tree

Hopefully this will give you a better idea of why a picture
of the nest and detail of a specimen would be helpful

I fully realize a picture is worth a thousand words. I do wish that a
resident critter could have waited until tonight to eat the nest.

Talking with my daylily buddy - most likely a paper wasp, we just don't know
which one. The complete docility was what was so amazing to me; even with me
about to yank the nest, no stings, no buzzing - nothing! Even he was
surprised by that.

I also realize Sheldon is a wart on the backside of this group.

Cheryl