Old 26-07-2009, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Help identifying a wasp please

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:25:23 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
Talking with my daylily buddy - most likely a paper wasp, we just don't know
which one. The complete docility was what was so amazing to me; even with me
about to yank the nest, no stings, no buzzing - nothing! Even he was
surprised by that.

We have the "Polistes dominula - European Paper Wasp" here
now. Don't remember them being around when I was a kid. From
what I can tell/surmise they weren't. Introduced, started on
the east coast and have been moving inland. More rapidly the
past few years.

I rub these out pretty regular around the place, where they
could be troublesome that is. They haven't stung me yet,
I've given them good opportunities too. The ground nesting
Yellow-jackets that look very similar are another story.
They get ****ed if you just stand by their nest a bit too
long. See:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/5081

They're suppose to have kinda orange antenna, which is a
good ID from what I could figure out. Well, maybe next time
you will be able to take a few more notes before
high-tailing it away ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b