Old 27-07-2009, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default phases of the moon

In message , Hamer Family
writes
Does anybody here garden by biodynamics or the phases of the moon, I'm
thinking of giving it a try.

If you, for example, sow plants by the phase of the moon, that means
that there's a 4 week variation in the time of year that you sow the
plants. While the optimal time for sowing varies from year to year, for
most crops I doubt that the variation at one location amounts to this
much. In any one year the optimal time for sowing varies according to
location (it's not the same in Penzance as in Peterhead). So apart from
the lack of positive reasons to hold that the phase of the moon is a
predominant determinant of the optimal time for sowing, there are
negative reasons leading us to doubt the efficacy of the practice.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley