Old 28-07-2009, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default UK query: Top Dressing

"BrucUK" wrote in message

I have a lawn with clay underneath that floods every time it rains; it's
also full of tree roots.
I have killed the lawn off, built "edges" and a deck/pier to walk
around on. I plan to top-dress the old (now dead) lawn with homemade
compost and well-rotted horse manure to a depth of about 6 inches,
thereby introducing organic matter, and avoiding having to dig too
much. I have "loosened" the soil where possible.
Any thoughts? Anything wrong with this approach? I will not start
planting until next year (herbaceous shrubs, roses and annual
vegetables).
Is this a sensible strategy? Have I missed anything?
Thanks - Bruce

Prolly best to ask this question in uk.rec.gardening so I am replying to
your post and adding a crosspost to that group too.

The has been a problem in the UK with horse manure being contaminated with a
strong residual herbicide. You'll need to know about this so you can source
good quality horse poo and the UK newsgroups has a lot of keen gardeners who
give good advice.