Old 28-07-2009, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Seed dryer

"CanopyCo" wrote in message

Basically, in nature, the fruit falls to the ground or is eaten and
the seeds get pooped out.
Then they lay in the ground until spring, when they start growing.

Couldn’t a person just plant the wet seeds in little pots that are
kept outside?
Then in the spring, they would grow just like in the wild.

I’m guessing that it wouldn’t work, simply because it is not standard
practice, but thought I would ask anyway.

Whether it works depends. It depends on your climate, the plant and the
viability of the seed.

I live in a climate that gets hard frosts but snow is as rare as rocking
horse poop.

In Autumn I frequently strip the seed heads of things and just strew the
seeds around the garden to lie there and come up or not as they want to do.
I generally don't bother with putting the seeds in anything but I have done
it sometimes using old broccoli boxes. My problem is forgetting seeds in
pots so I'd rather the seed did its own thing.

Things that grow easily from using this strewing technique are parsley,
coriander, basil, calendulas, aquilegia, mustard, silver beet (chard) and
probably others that I would recall if I took a walk around my garden.

Other things that grow voluntarily from my cold composting techniques are
pumpkins and apple trees and various other squashes.