Old 28-07-2009, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default phases of the moon

Hamer Family wrote:
Is there anybody willing to raise their hands and say 'I do it'?

I am happy to receive emails off list as I know this group can be aggressive
enough to stifle debate and mitigate against open communication.

In the interest of clarity I have a research background and I am well aware
of the failings of anecdotal responses and of the Placebo effect and have
experience of conducting double blind trials.

OK. Then you will quickly realise that planting things when the soil is
just right for them to germinate and grow quickly is far more important
than the position of the moon in the sky. The only thing where there
might be an advantage is if you dig the soil by the light of the moon.

The low levels of moonlight prevent buried weed seeds seeing enough
transient light to break dormancy - although you may get visits from the
police to see why you are digging in the dark.

Rigid adherence to biodynamics is pretty silly. Just look how wildy the
movable feast of Easter flops around governed by the lunar cycle.

If you would rather contact me off list here's my address
You can email me at:

I expect you will find a few adherents and they may even believe it works.

Regards,
Martin Brown