Old 29-07-2009, 08:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default What's wrong with my apple tree?

In article
,
"steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada" wrote:

On Jul 28, 9:21*am, "Lilah Morgan" wrote:
You are now killfiled, have a nice day

"sherwin dubren" wrote in message

* *I will bet the bank that they analyze it as apple scab.

* *There are several 'organic' fungicides available, such as copper
* *sulfate.

* *In most locations, you cannot expect to get clean apples without
* *spraying. *Right now, my apples are being attacked by apple maggots.
* *I have no choice except to spray unless I want some wormy results.
* *You should be growing something like pears, that are much less
* *subject to insect attacks.

* *There is no telling how chemicals were misused by this former orchard.
* *They could have dumped their excess chemicals on the ground.
* *Normally, chemicals handled properly will not contaminate the ground.
* *Those on the fruits will disintegrate or burn off in the sun after a
* *few weeks. *As a precaution, I never spray fruit within three weeks of
* *picking it.

* *If your extension office has an organic way of treating apple scab, I
* *would like to hear about it. *I try and minimize my spraying through
* *covering of fruit and various insect traps, so I am not against
* *organic methods, when they are practical and will work.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * Sherwin- Hide quoted text -

Wow, that was a bit odd. I may not be up to date on the politics here
in the group as I am a bit of a lurker rather than a poster. The
flaming in this posting seemed to be unnecessary between billy/
sherwin, but I think you just decided to killfile Sherwin for:

1) ...stating that he thinks his analysis of apple scab was right
2) ...asking that you let the group know what the "experts" suggest
for an organic solution.

Is that accurate?

Like others, I am not the type that likes the use of pesticides and
herbicides, and would like some natural solutions to these types of
problems. So choosing what to spray and when is helpful info for me. I
certainly thought sharing what the experts suggest when you see them
was a reasonable request. I guess I have not been seeing all the posts
in here lately. For my sake though, perhaps you can share the experts
analysis and advice? I know at least I would appreciate it.

Steve

What ever Lilah's reasons, they are no concern of ours, or do you deem
yourself the great decider? As you say, you may not be up to date on
Doo's passion for the most caustic of pesticides. No, he is not a total
fool, but in his past postings, he has shown no concern for the
environment beyond the fig leaf of cost analysis.

His concern about the diagnosis of apple scab went beyond diagnosis, he
had decided that no other opinion was needed, once he had stated the
obvious (to him).

True the pictures of apple scab were similar, but not exactly the same.
So why would he complain about a second opinion? Hubris.

We of wrecked gardens aren't here to ask why, but to answer as best we
know.

I would say that your two presumptions were wide of the mark (my
opinion). It is more of the reaction you might have when a bum comes up
to you and says, "Why don't you give me your money?" It's more revulsion
at the way he does it, than a reaction to what he does. I suspect that
Doo is a commercial grower, and doesn't care if there is poison on his
fruit, as long as it looks good.

I'd be surprised, if she gave you an answer because of the way you
characterized her, but I've been wrong before.

Good luck.
--

- Billy

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.* ~Channing E. Phillips

Israeli Settlers Attack Palestinian Land
http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7

http://i2.democracynow.org/2009/7/22/headlines#7